I’m happy to report that I am just now finding my way out of a weeks-long wellness rut. Following a cold, a root canal, and too much travel, I was feeling out-of-whack—and my mind and body were taking the brunt of it. Of course, our routines need a little shaking up every once in a while–when you start going through your rituals and routines mindlessly, you’re losing the most important part of any wellness practice: paying attention to your body. For some, that might look like finding a new fitness routine to keep your work stress at bay. For others, it might mean a non-negotiable daily date with your Headspace app to give your mind a little peace.
The truth is we all need different rituals to help us stay well throughout all the many seasons of our lives. What works for one person might not work for you. And that’s OK—listening to and embracing your unique needs is the key to living in alignment and showing up each day as your highest self. So with that, check out these 50 rituals to start weaving into your routines today. Set reminders in your calendar or add them to your planner, and make a commitment to help yourself feel energized, inspired, and good.
For feel-good fitness:
1. Start your day with a 10-minute walk. Pop in a podcast or enjoy the morning quiet all to yourself.
2. Build an intuitive stretching practice. Roll out your yoga mat, stretch, and shake out whatever parts of your body need a little love.
3. Try swimming! It’s a great low-impact, aerobic exercise. And have I mentioned it’s fun?
4. Join a tennis league. Continue the habit you started building in the summer. Most indoor tennis facilities offer weekly doubles leagues. Suit up and sign up!
5. Book your workout classes at the beginning of the week and note them in your calendar.
6. Practice a morning yoga flow. Pick postures from this list to support digestion or this one to reduce anxiety.
7. Reflect on how you feel before and after you exercise. This can be written down in your journal, on your Notes app, or even just a mental inventory. Do you feel less stressed? More energized? Happier? Noting the changes in your state of being can help reaffirm the positive benefits of movement.
For keeping a fresh perspective:
8. Make your bed. You might roll your eyes, but there’s something to be said for the simple act of pulling your sheets back and fluffing up your pillows. It’s a small, simple accomplishment that sets a positive tone for the rest of your day.
9. Write your morning pages. Popularized by The Artist’s Way, this exercise requires writing three pages of stream of consciousness writing first thing in the morning. It’s a great way to clear your mind of any anxieties and identify any potential stressors before you start your day.
10. Exchange a list of gratitudes with a friend. At the beginning or end of each day, text a list of three things you’re grateful for.
11. Read for 30 minutes at the end of your work day. Do you fall asleep when you read before bed? Don’t have enough time in the morning? This is the perfect sweet spot when you can be sure to take a break.
12. Buy yourself flowers. Visit a farmer’s market or your local florist and pick up a bouquet to brighten your week.
13. Fill a mason jar with your favorite quotes. Pull from it each morning and keep your quote nearby for inspiration.
14. Prioritize focus work in the morning. Even if you’re not a morning person, you’ll be able to approach your projects feeling mentally fresh.
15. Make a joy-boosting playlist. Embrace the high-vibe feeling when your favorite song comes on.
16. Create a morning to-read list. Brainstorm a list of your favorite blogs and scroll through while sipping that first cup of coffee.
17. Make busy work more inspiring! Cue up a few go-to podcasts to have at the ready.
18. As the final part of your work day, write your to-do list for the next day. This will help you start your morning fresh and with a clear idea of what you need to accomplish.
For decreasing stress levels:
19. Download a meditation app and book a 5-10 minute slot in your calendar when you’re committed to only that.
20. Take a few mindful breaths. While this is a wonderful way to start your morning, this ritual is accessible at any time of day. Download an app like Breathwrk where you can follow along with guided, science-backed exercises.
21. Experience nature. However you most enjoy experiencing the outdoors—whether that’s a hike or simply sitting on a park bench—be sure you’re getting some quality time outside.
22. Connect with your community. Make time to see or talk to your people regularly throughout the week.
23. Set aside intentional no-screen time every day. Designate at least 30 minutes without any screens in sight.
24. Love on your pet! You do this all the time, so why not set aside specific time to snuggle your favorite fur pal?
25. Light a candle while tackling your inbox first-thing. It might actually make the experience… enjoyable?
26. Romanticize your evening routine. Whether it’s a relaxing bath, a candlelit dinner, or a post-work walk, make the time after you shut your computer count.
27. Incorporate relaxing products into your sleep routine: a weighted eye pillow, a lavender pillow mist, or a comfy-cozy duvet.
28. Working from home, it can be difficult to feel like I’ve done “enough.” Instead of guilting myself into working past dinner, I set a stopping point when I tidy up my workspace, step outside for a walk, and carry on with my evening acknowledging that I’m done with the work portion of my day.
29. Take a warm shower before getting into bed. Trust me, it’s bliss.
For nutritious, soul-nourishing meals:
30. Romanticize your meals. Spend a little time giving your food an aesthetic presentation: include a range of colors and invest in a few tableware pieces you love. Play music, light a candle, pour a fun beverage. Whatever you do—stay away from your phone.
31. Meal prep (but make it fun!). Go to your favorite grocery store during the off-hours (Trader Joe’s traffic is light Saturday midday or *very* early Sunday morning), or visit the farmers’ market. Make a list, but also set an intention to pick up an ingredient that inspires you. Take the time to chop your produce and store it in the fridge in air-tight containers. You’ll breathe a sigh of relief knowing you’re set up for the week.
32. …Or don’t meal prep. If you find chopping veggies or stirring pasta to be a source of relaxation, use your lunch break as an opportunity to unwind.
33. Find your favorite warm beverage. Is there anything better than cozying up to a comforting mug this time of year? Whether it’s matcha, golden milk, or a PSL, pick your favorite and enjoy your prep-and-sip ritual.
34. Take yourself out for a pastry and coffee at your favorite café. If it’s the weekend, post up for a while with a good book.
35. Spend some time on the weekends pouring through your favorite cookbooks, food blogs, and influencers. Gather up one or two new recipes you want to try for the week ahead.
36. Unwind with a warm cup of tea. I love a decaffeinated chai or chamomile if I’m in need of a good night’s sleep.
37. Pick one wellness supplement to support your healthy eating routine. Try a greens powder, daily multi-vitamin, or anything that helps you feel your best. The world of supplements is vast and complex, so pick one thing and stick with it.
38. Before taking your first bite of a meal, say a silent gratitude. Acknowledge the people, the plants, and maybe the animals that contributed to what you’re about to eat (and if you made the dish, share a little gratitude for yourself, too!).
For a healthy dose of self-care:
39. Wash your sheets once a week with a fresh-smelling clean detergent.
40. Do a quick, five-minute clean-up of your space in the morning and at night. You’ll be surprised how much of a difference a few minutes can make.
41. Clean out your closet each season. Marie-Kondo your wardrobe and keep only the clothes that spark joy.
42. Apply lotion mindfully. Be present for the soothing, nourishing feeling you get from using your favorite moisturizer.
43. Create a skincare ritual you’ll look forward to. If a 10-step routine feels excessive, pick a few products you love and lean in.
44. Set out your workout clothes, WFH wardrobe, and whatever you need for your work day the night before. Bonus points if your ritual includes prepping breakfast.
45. If you live in a home or can find space for one outside of your apartment, buy a bird feeder and enjoy watching the little guys that visit.
46. Sleep with your phone in a different room. The easiest way to ensure you don’t mindlessly scroll before bed? Keep your phone out of sight, out of mind. And if you use yours as an alarm, invest in this pretty purchase instead.
47. Keep your favorite essential oil next to your bedside. Apply to your wrists and breathe in the scent.
48. Do a morning check-in. When you open your eyes, do a body scan and notice how you feel at this present moment. What emotions are coming up? Where is your energy? Is there anything about the day that makes you feel anxious? Excited?
49. Put a picture of yourself as a kid next to your bed, taped up on your bathroom mirror, or anywhere in your home that you pass by regularly as a reminder to honor every day of your journey.
50. Share your highs and lows of the day with a partner, friend, or family member. At dinner or the end of your day, check in with yourself and someone important to you. This is a great way to reflect on the positives and the challenges of your day.